Teenagers are approaching driving age and driving lessons are underway... Thank you God for my brave husband!!! We've settled into our homeschooling schedule with 2 full time teens and 1 part timer. My days are full of answering questions, grading papers, music lessons, martial arts and homemaking.
The cooler weather brings the right time to accomplish the outside chores that have set patiently waiting. My hubby's "honey please do" list calls to him from our fridge and with man sized boys able to help, many hands make light work.
They've checked off several items so far... fixing broken wheels on 3 different chairs, stopping a leaky kitchen faucet, tearing down the tree house for lumber to use in our next project, enlarging the chicken coop, cutting up the fallen trees from past storms, taking down the pool and storing it for winter, cleaning out the shed and making a work space in it etc... There's still plenty to do! Putting the new chicken pen up, enlarging the existing coop, putting a new roof on the house, painting, more leaks to contend with... on and on...
I've been busy learning the art of food preserving. NOT easily learned from a book! There are so many subtleties, tips and tricks that can only be learned from watching a seasoned homemaker. I've hot water bathed & pressure cooked over a hundred quarts of apples, pears, tomatoes, garlic, green beans and pickled stuff. My kitchen's been overtaken for days and I'm so ready for order to reign once again. I'm trying to pull together a class taught by the local extension office for the homeschool moms wanting to learn this. I was surprised by how many responses I got to an email I sent out to the homescchool community! Seems I'm not the only one wanting to learn this and needing help.
Stored totes are calling me... jackets, sweat shirts and eventually coats all need pulling out. They've tried on all the jeans from last year and it's a good thing we did! They're growing so fast that a trip to the thrift store was needed while the getting was good. All new jeans for the season at $4 a pop, can't beat that! I know I need to go through the coats and jackets next in case they need those too. With the economy the way it is more people are discovering the treasures at the local thrift stores!
My pretty jars
My huge bowl green beans waiting to be canned
Soooooooo as you can imagine we're really looking forward to a break the 4th weekend in October at our weekend getaway, Schiedmantle Lodge!!!! We've been going down with another family for the past few years and this will be the first year we have OUR OWN weekend! We've invited some of our dear homeschooling friends to join us and we're looking forward to a wonderful time of fellowship and relaxation! Can't wait to have our coffee on the porch swing over looking the beautiful lake all wrapped and snuggling with my hubby!
Well it grows late and believe it or not, teens still need to be reminded to brush teeth and get to bed!
Thank you Lord for the blessing of this day and for my family and friends. God Bless!
Sherri <><


No comments:
Post a Comment